How Can Technology Help in Providing Secure Property Rights?
Tune in to episode 7 of Land of a Billion Season 2!
Over the last few years, technology has made inroads in almost all aspects our lives — work, education, social interactions, governance and even land administration.
Up until ten years ago, getting a copy of your land records would have meant a trek to the tehsildar’s office. However, today, in a majority of districts and states, it is possible to access digital copies online.
Today, technology is being leveraged to ease the processes of land registration, records and documentation, but there are many challenges when it comes to scaling technology in land administration.
In this episode, we speak with Sanjay Kumar, Secretary, Government of Goa, and Jagdeesh Puppala, former CEO, Foundation for Ecological Security (FES) talking about Leveraging Technology for secure property rights in India.
We discuss the various challenges that comes when using technology for land administration in different states, we also discuss the learnings from different countries who have successfully championed this process.
Catch the following questions asked by our host at respective timestamps:
– 4.00: Could you give us some idea of how tech-based approaches are being used for land and property administration in India and what are your views on the same?
– 8.07: Could you give us an overview of the work that you have done in this space?
– 14.40: What are some of the sort of risks that you would like to highlight on the overuse of technology in land Administration and Governance?
– 17.15: Could you tell us what do you think could be the potential strengths and challenges of this policy with respect to land administration?
– 18.45: Would you say that a lot of this depends on the procurement capacity of the relevant department?
– 26.10: What are the challenges that you have also seen in this area?
– 29.47: If there was one core challenge that you would put your weight behind, what would it be to secure land rights for a billion?
What is Land of a Billion About?
‘Land of a Billion’ brings you expert conversations about the most contentious of the holy roti-kapda-makaan trinity — the makaan over our heads, and the larger ecosystem that governs it.
From administrative tussles to understanding the conflicts on ground, catch these episodes every alternate Friday for a rundown on the latest charcha around land and property rights in India. In case you missed it, you can also catch up on Season 1 of this series here.
Hosted by Bhargavi Zaveri, a researcher interested in land and access to finance, Land of a Billion is a fortnightly podcast series produced in association with the Property Rights Research Consortium.
Don’t forget to catch the next episode, where we’ll speak with G. Mathi Vathanan (Principal Secretary, HUD, Government of Odisha) and Shubhagato Dasgupta, Senior fellow, CPR and Director, Scaling City Institutions for India, Sci-Fi) to talk to them about their experience with running the world’s largest Slum Land Settlement Programme, right here in Odisha!